List a handful of tasks you just hate to do — those things that you really can’t even bring yourself to start. Of course, the problem you run into is that those things never get done. Then they turn into larger, even less appealing tasks. It’s a vicious cycle.
The secret to tackling one of these tasks is just starting. If you can’t commit to finishing your chore, commit to focusing on it for even just a brief period of time.
Set a timer.
Whether you use your smartphone, microwave, or egg timer for a countdown, punch in a time limit that you can stay motivated throughout. That ticking clock will push you to race against time!
Here are some possible applications of a timed approach to a dreaded task:
- Lock yourself in your office and set aside 45 minutes for writing a dull report.
- Give the kids 5 minutes to put away their mountain of toys.
- Speed-clean your bathroom in 20 minutes.
- Block off 15 minutes for paying your piles of bills.
- Take a 10-minute break to go for a walk and clear your head.
- Allocate 1 hour for sorting forgotten family photos.
What hated task can you finally tackle if you set a time limit?
Leave a Reply